This exercise has its roots in Benjamin Percy’s excellent Thrill Me: Essays on Fiction, specifically the “Get a Job” chapter.
Characterize by writing about the character’s job. Address at least the following prompts:
- How did the character get the job?
- How does the setting/dress of the character change as a result of it?
- Describe the character’s relationships with at least three people at work.
- Describe/contrast these relationships with at least three people not at work.
- How does the job change/shape/impact the non-job relationships?
- Given this job, what point of view makes sense? How is the character likely to see the world?
- List three metaphors this character would use.
- What new language/jargon/jokes does the character learn as a result of the job?